Оплата

"Intour-Service" Ltd.
Our address:: 230024, BY, K.Marksa street 13-1.
tel: 8 (0152) 74-01-47

Mo - Fri: 9.00- 18.00
Sa: 9.00- 14.00

03. Tour "Belarus. Museums of Grodno"


Tour "Belarus. Museums of Grodno"
Itinerary: Grodno
Duration: 2 days

Grodno is situated 300 km West of Minsk on the border with Poland. It was founded in the 11th cent. as a fortress on the banks of the Neman, today the city ranks number one among old Belarusian cities in its authentic planning and 12th-16th cent. churches, numerous 17th-18th cent. religious and public buildings.

The written history of Grodno, first as a center of a principality, dates back to 1127. In the 13th century the town entered the Grand Principality of Lithuania. The settlement was de-stroyed several times by the Teutonic Knights, but every time it rose from the ashes.

In 1410 Prince Vytautas the Great mustered troops in Grodno for a decisive battle with the Teutonic Order which later became known as the Grunwald Battle. Grodno raced into the era of rapid development after the Grunwald triumph. Back in 1391 Wladyslaw II Jagiello bestowed the town with certain privileges from the Magdeburg Rights and in 1440 the town got a full-fledged right for self-governance.

In 1764 the king's lands in western Belarus were given in possession of Grodno headman Antoniy Tyzengauz who immediately initiated a project to construct an "ideal" town in the suburbs of Grodno. This period became known as a time of prosperity for the residents of the town. The town-planning ensemble in the suburbs of Grodno is one of the earliest and most significant examples of large-scale construction in the history of architecture.

In 1793 the New Castle in Grodno hosted the so-called "silent" Seym which adopted the second partition of the Rzecz Pospolita. It was in Grodno where last king of the Rzecz Po-spolita Stanislaw August Poniatowski abdicated from the throne following an ill-fated re-bellion. In 1795, after the third partition of the Rzecz Pospolita, Grodno was included into the Russian Empire and since 1802 the town had been the center of Grodno province.

The end of the 19th - the beginning of the 20th century saw Grodno celebrating such renowned talents as Polish novelist Eliza Orzeszkowa, poet Maksim Bogdanovich, Ludwig Samenhof - the inventor of Esperanto, Grodno historian Yavstakh Arnovskiy and athlete-hercules Yakub Chakhvskiy.

Today Grodno is the largest town in western Belarus, an oblast center with the population exceeding 300 thousand. The town boasts well-developed industry. It is an essential interna-tional transport intersection. There are three universities in Grodno, colleges, gymnasiums, art galleries and a philharmonic society.

The places worth to be visited are:

Historical And Archaeological Reserve (the 12th - 20th cent). The reserve includes:

The Old Castle - the complex of defensive religious and secular buildings of the 12th - 19th cent. In 1580 the palace was rebuilt for Stephan Batoriy, the king of the Common-wealth (Rzecz Pospolita).

The King Palace (The New Castle) - the monument of the architecture of the second quar-ter of the 18th cent. built by August III, the king of the Commonwealth. In 1944 the palace was considerably destroyed. Only entrance gates are preserved in original state.

In Grodno there are some interesting museums, such as: Belarusian State Museum of the History of Religion; the Literary Museum of M. Bogdanovich (a famous Belarusian poet), the Museum of Elise Ozheshko (a famous Polish writer).

Programme

Day 1

Arrival in Grodno
Transfer to the hotel with guide assistance
Check-in at the hotel in the centre of the city
Time at leisure
Dinner

Day 2

Breakfest

Sightseeing tour of Grodno
Visit to The New Palace
Visit to The Old Castle
Visit to the Museum of Elise Ozheshko
Visit to the Literary Museum of M. Bogdanovich
The anatomic museum of medical university (by request)

Cost according to demands.

The cost included: entrance visa, full board and lodging, a guide, transfer, passage service, bus and excursion service, entrance tickets to the museums

The company leaves the right to make some alterations in the program without decreasing whole volume and quality of services.

Back to main list

View all list

Developed by: Saitodrom